After the Storm
After hurricanes hit, a new storm begins. Insurance companies are bombarded with thousands of claims. So how do you make sure your claim is handled as quickly as possible?
We found a great “How-To” for filing an insurance claim, written by space coast local Amanda Stack. If your property was impacted by the storm, follow this advice to make sure your claim is approved.
- Take pictures of your damages before you start to protect your home from further damage.
- If you found shingles in your yard that you know belong to your roof keep them if you can. If you already threw them away not that big a deal.
- If you have roof damages, tarp what you can to protect your home from further damage.
- If you have interior damages make sure to clean up what you can with buckets or wet vac or towels and put buckets under where the leaks are happening.
- If you have fence down and you had it installed since you’ve lived at the home see if you can find the receipt. Same for Windows, screens, plants and trees (if installed while you’ve lived there).
- Call your provider and get the claim moving.
“I’ve been doing special investigations for homeowners claims for 11 years. Just posting what came to my mind today about mainly exterior and leak damages. Hope it helps.” – Amanda Stack